Tuesday 25 May 2010

A little less conversations a little more action please...

Noel also suggested that I start making this kit or party scene (the end product is still undecided) rather than talking about making it. However I had one last bit of research to do before I started trying things out, i asked divorced women to list things that they commonly utilized or did after a divorce.
-Drank more Alcohol
-Partied with their single friends more
-Worked longer to keep them occupied
-Cried a lot
-Read a lot of self help books
-Ate junk food; Chocolate, biscuits, take aways...
-Became angry and full of resentment
-Tried dating agencies
-Wrote or listened to music

From this list I composed a quick brainstorm on what I would include in this kit/ scene...

- male head pinata (combines anger and partying)
- Voodoo doll (relieves anger and stress)
- Divorce CD (music)
- Divorce helpbook in Zine format (reading)
- Wine, and cups (drinking which isn't advised but it will be done any how)
- Chocolate bars (junk food binges)
- Divorce Cake (junk food and partying)
- Tissues (to wipe away those inevitable tears)
- Balloons (party environment)
- Rings (A gift for the divorced woman so she can replace her wedding ring with a new one)

The end product will fit my Project Proposal in the sense that I am creating art from something that is broken and I think that it is great that we can create beauty from a pessimistic situation. I also came across this Divorce Gift list service provided by Debenhams, this has similar intentions and incentives to my own project.

The new service, launched January 10th, follows the rising popularity of 'congratulations on your divorce' greeting cards and divorce celebration parties, made popular by celebrities including Jordan and Heather Mills.

A divorce may not be universally seen as an occasion for celebration, but the divorce gift list could become the 21st-century equivalent of the traditional wedding list.

The tendency for modern couples to live together before getting married means the wedding list – designed to stock the newly-weds' first home with basic goods – has become somewhat obsolete.

Divorce, on the other hand, results in one partner leaving the marital home, meaning they may have to fit out an entire new house with cookware, linen and electric goods.

Divorcees are expected to list large plasma screen TVs, computer games and non-iron shirts high on their lists to help them get over their break-ups and readjust to the single lifestyle.

With the first day back after the Christmas holidays thought to be the most common date for couples in the UK to decide to separate, this week is expected to see an increase in the number of divorce petitions filed.

Peter Moore, Head of Retail Services at Debenhams, said: “Divorcing can be an expensive time and registering for a Divorce Gift List means that family and friends can help the newly separated begin their new life.”

With this in mind I started researching and designing rings (divorce rings)Which I thought would be a great gift. A ring to replace the wedding ring with a motive. After looking at some amazing ring designs by Gisele Ganne I was inspired to start making straight away.




I thought about cost effective processes and instantly thought of laser cutting, the results cant be quite beautiful...


I created several designs and chose 3 to make
- a bride running from a groom
- a black bird (representing freedom)
- and divorce in writing in a knuckle duster form

They looked great until I dropped the Divorce ring, Due to the huge waiting list for laser cutting i had to make do with the broken ring which I fixed myself using a 3d paste, I hope that it wont look too bad.

I wanted to create ring coffins for each divorce ring so that the divorced lady can use it to bury her wedding ring. However the boxes i had created were too small and the making process was costly and time consuming. Due to the rings odd shapes I decided to create 3 broken heart boxes that were black stuffed with black chiffon for a sinister effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment